Mr. McNab filled in for pharmacist Dr. Chandler who owned the Mukilteo Drug Store. Mrs. McNab wrote poetry and had a companion named Marian Evans. Both McNabs taught Sunday School at the Mukilteo Presbyterian Church.
Mukilteo pioneer Alice Brooks (Pallas) gave Kay Hogland Scheller a book of poems written by Mrs. McNab, which included one written to her friend Mrs. Evans as a Valentine gift.
In 1928, according to the Everett Daily Herald, the estate was described as "12 acres of beautifully planned grounds with a residence on the bluff, a showplace of Puget Sound country."
On August 24, 1924, P.H. Hawkins of San Diego, California purchased the property for $20,000, to use as his summer home. During the early years, according to old time Mukilteo residents, community picnics and other events took place on the estate.
In 1926, the Ursuline Sisters of Montana purchased the Hogland property, which they used as a convent until 1942. At that time there was a white gazebo high on the hill across the ravine, where the nuns walked for their afternoon prayer.
In 1927, 17-year-old Virginia Layton of Mukilteo walked down the Mukilteo Speedway to join the Order and became Sister Marguerite Teresa. The sisters helped the poor and hungry in the community during the Depression and turned no one away. Ms. Layton eventually left the Order, but returned in April of 1990 to reunite with her old friends.