In the early 1900's, Charles and Isabelle McNab purchased 12 acres of wooded property overlooking Puget Sound and just outside the city limits as they were at that time.
In 1902 they built a barn on the property and following that, in 1906, the 4700 sq. ft. Craftsman Bungalow-style home. The McNabs carefully planned and built their new home with special attention to structural details such as exterior molded rafters, projecting windows with lead casing and rounded balconies.
The interior contained elaborate woodwork including several columns and very intricate gingerbread trim. Materials for the house were brought to the property on a barge from the nearby Mukilteo (Crown) Lumber Company. Mr. McNab filled in for pharmacist Dr. Chandler who owned the Mukilteo Drug Store. Mrs. McNab wrote poetry and had a companion named Marian Evans. Both McNabs taught Sunday School at the Mukilteo Presbyterian Church.
Mukilteo pioneer Alice Brooks (Pallas) gave Kay Hogland Scheller a book of poems written by Mrs. McNab, which included one written to her friend Mrs. Evans as a Valentine gift. In 1928, according to the Everett Daily Herald, the estate was described as "12 acres of beautifully planned grounds with a residence on the bluff, a showplace of Puget Sound country." On August 24, 1924, P.H. Hawkins of San Diego, California purchased the property for $20,000, to use as his summer home. During the early years, according to old time Mukilteo residents, community picnics and other events took place on the estate. In 1926, the Ursuline Sisters of Montana purchased the Hogland property, which they used as a convent until 1942. At that time there was a white gazebo high on the hill across the ravine, where the nuns walked for their afternoon prayer.
In 1927, 17-year-old Virginia Layton of Mukilteo walked down the Mukilteo Speedway to join the Order and became Sister Marguerite Teresa. The sisters helped the poor and hungry in the community during the Depression and turned no one away. Ms. Layton eventually left the Order, but returned in April of 1990 to reunite with her old friends. For a brief time during 1942, the United States Army used the property as a hospital. That same year, Valeria and Everett Hogland, of the Hogland Transfer Company in Everett, purchased the estate for their home. It has now been in the Hogland family for more than 60 years.
The gracious old manor home has now been restored back to its original charm, capturing the early 1900s. While extensively redecorated, its charm has been retained and enhanced because Click here to map it step-by-step with GoogleMaMp it MMstep by step with Google the original materials and design features were not changed. This includes siding, rounded windows, rafters and railings. Vintage furniture adorns the many rooms, which are decorated with turn-of-the-century touches such as rag-rolling and marbling on the interior walls. Sky ceilings have stars that come out at night. A child's face and an angel gaze down from the ceiling in an upstairs bedroom. In fact, smiling cherubs and angels are in every corner. Wonderful trails wind through the five wooded acres and a ravine. Visitors can still walk to the creek or beach, see chipmunks running up trees or watch an eagle diving for salmon high over the bay.
In the fall of 1992, the newly formed Mukilteo Register of Historic Places honored the historic McNab-Hogland residence as its first entry. In October of 1993, Kay Hogland Scheller established the property, located at the end of Webster Street in the 'old' section of Mukilteo, as a bed and breakfast.